Tuesday 12 March 2013

INDIVIDUALISM & INTEGRITY FROM XRIS CUNNINGHAM VS WARREN BUFFETT



INDIVIDUALISM & INTEGRITY FROM XRIS CUNNINGHAM VS WARREN BUFFETT

Integrity: noun
1.adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2.the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3.a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with Warren Buffett vs Jay Z for for FORBES a while back here you go:


Having fun doing the Jigga sign are we?

 
For those of you unfamiliar with what I think was the coolest video-maker of the late 90’s early 00’s Xris Cunningham’s work here you go:


AFRIKA SHOX:         


ONLY YOU:

And of course 'come to daddy' by Aphex Twin. (soz windolicka):

 
Just this week I came across two interviews by these two that had bits of inspiration for the independent musician trying to get paid, get a deal or recognised.  And even though Chris and Warren are at opposite ends of the popularity/fame/financial spectrum they both herald the view that we should be single minded in our pursuit for what we are doing. 

But first let's listen to this track on integrity before riches by NEW JERUSALEM EDUTAINMENT  - (15 plays so far):

Warren Buffet On being Individual (listening to yourself):

"You have to be able to think independently, you have to be, you have to be, when you come to a conclusion you have to really not care what other people say, you have to follow the facts, follow your reasoning. And that's tough for a lot of people, that part I think I was really lucky with, I was born that way."

Later he says:

"I cant really tell you the answer, I didn’t learn it in school or anything, it never bothered me when people disagreed with what I thought as long as I felt I knew the facts, there's a whole bunch of things I don’t know a thing about, i just stay away from those  (laughs), so I stay within what I call my circle of competence."

 
I chose this bit of an interview by Warren Buffett for Forbes, not only because he is cool enough to accept to be jive talking or making himself look smarter than he already his next to Jay Z, but also because he highlights the principles of listening to yourself to breakthrough in your career, social life, and decision making. He is upholding the power of the individual. Albeit by saying he looks at the facts but nonetheless if he got to where he is by not listening to his advisors, and networks of friends telling him expert advice on the consequences of him making wrong decisions then who are we to listen to the nay-sayers around, under and above us?

FOR FULL INTERVIEW:


 Chris Cunningham On Integrity:

(When asked if he would take the offer to direct the movie A.I. after working with Kubrick):

"No. I've been offered some pretty big stuff but if I'd been offered that I would have had a conflict because, on one hand I'm struggling to establish my own identity and I'm a new filmmaker and I've just made a few videos-- I was just finding out what I was about starting to understand my subconscious. I feel like each time I do something I want it to be more and more recognizable that it's me so, by the time I do a film, my films will be as recognizable as someone like David Lynch or someone who's got their own thing going on. So if I had fucking done A.I. that would have been the end, I would have never been able to get rid of that Kubrick connection."

(When asked why he chose to only put half the number of videos he made on a DVD 'masters' collection):

 
"Because [the other ones] are absolute shit. I only put stuff on there that's worth putting on there. In order to make the DVD not seem ridiculously small I had to put a couple videos on there that I hate. I felt like it's my DVD and I want to put something out that isn't gonna make me cringe even though you can't hide anything in this day in age. If there's something you've done it'll be on the fucking internet. But I don't want it on the DVD. I'm sure most people in that position would feel the same way. If you do an album you just want the best tracks on there. Those other videos are like outtakes or experiments."

(On being 'bit' copied by others):

"They say you're supposed to feel flattered but I never do. I'm normally pissed off. I think the thing that's frustrating is [the copycats] normally have a big audience and I don't want those audiences to think that I've copied them-- I don't want someone to come up to me and say, "The robot in your Björk video is copied from I, Robot." The biggest problem is if you do something and everyone copies it, that year becomes known for that look and people get sick of it and you're lumped in with that.

I went through a period of being pissed off at so much stuff looking like mine and that's one of the reasons I didn't do anything for a couple years, because I got so depressed because my style had become so ubiquitous and it made me lose confidence because everything looked like what I was doing. It's pretty rough doing your learning in public, the first video I ever made was the first piece of film I ever made; I'd never made a student film or anything before, the first year of doing videos. I'd do anything to erase those videos but I can't. That's what I envy about people in the 20th century, they could destroy their early work and once they get good they can treat that as year zero. But these days you've got some bastard that'll turn it up on the internet [laughs]. I wish I could dredge up something of theirs and get them back. I'm constantly trying to find ways to make stuff that really neutral. That's something I like about Spike and Michel, they're very neutral stylistically so it's very hard to imitate them but my stuff is very visual so it's easier to copy."

 
I chose this bit from an interview of ChrisCunningham with Pitchfork ezine, because 1# I love everything to do with Pitchfork (as a student of graphic design) but their polls, and 2# because I love everything to do with Chris Cunningham (aside from his 3rd Aphex Twin video).  In this interview I was astonished to read about how Chris Cunningham – probably the most hailed innovator of music video late 90’s next to Hype Williams, Gondry, Jonze – was telling it as it is as an artist, and saying stuff as he would never work with Speilberg though he worked with Kubrick, he turned down lots of offers from famous musicians labels to make a video for them, he wouldn’t even include some of his famed work for a DVD selection and only chose some to make up the numbers, and that it takes he will only work on something if he believes in it. In this interview he is triumphing the creative spirit as something that should not be commoditised.

Signing off:

Rae Burnz

No comments:

Post a Comment